Monday, June 7, 2010

Oh My!

Well another week gone by. Things went well, it was a good week. So it is great to hear from you all as always. I got the ensign you sent this week so that was great! it was also good to read the TT and see all of laura's senior picture thingys. 

To start off, earlier I saw an add for diving, which is a very popular sport here. Well it would have been not worth mentioning except for that on the add it had a warning saying that pregnant women should not go diving, alright that is good and all but then underneath it it said that they had not tested this with pregnant women because of the danger with it but instead they had tested it on pregnant sheep and had found problems with the new born sheep after there mother had gone diving. Ok so my big question, that I haven't found the answer to, is how did they get the sheep to go diving? That would have been an interesting study to have been a part of, I can't imagine a sheep managing to figure out how to use those regulators that allow you to breathe under water. They must have done something to simulate the effects of diving...maybe...I don't know. either way, diving sheep could be an effective way to take over the world, just haven't figured out how yet.

My new companion is Elder Packard. He is from Colorado. He seems like he will be a good missionary. I think he is excited to be serving here in the Turks and Caicos islands. He reminds me a lot of Josh Talbert, very similar personality. yup...ugh.... not really sure what else to say about my companion. He is here, he seems good.

This weekend the Ockeys came and as usual took us out to dinner. Well lately I have become a big experimenter in the food department, I will eat just about anything these days...except pickles, still don't like pickles. Anyways, this time I had for and appetizer calamari, conch and shrimp with a good tempura batter. It was quite good. I was surprised, I was expecting something a bit more fish like. Pres. Ockey has also managed to get me to order raw tuna, which also turned out to be quite good. It was good to have the ockeys around, as normal. they take us out to eat for a few days in a row and so I get a good chance every time they come to experiment with various foods that I normally wouldn't spend my own money on.

Yesterday was branch conference. It went over well. They had a ton of business to go over. My favorite part was the standard sustaining of church officers. The man doing it, brother fen, kept saying things wrong. after he would ask for the sustaining he would then say "any exposed, please make it manifest by the raising of the left hand" I had a good chuckle every time he said exposed. 

We had 2 more baptisms this week, Fritz and Jean. They are these 2 referrals from a few members, excellent people. Fritz is a weird man, he is quiet but occasionally he will just start doing the craziest things. anyways they are doing great now and are excited to be members of the church.
On Saturdays we clean the church as a service project and a lot of members come and help. Well this week one of the members was cleaning the windows and we found that he had gotten confused and was using bug spray as his windex. haha it was funny, he then proceeded to put windex into a standard soap bottle that doesn't spray at all. It is funny to watch all the haitians, many of them are not used to many of the things that we do, they have grown up in such poverty that even things like the difference between bug spray and windex is unknown, they have never seen either. 

Okay, I am attaching a handful of pictures, the first two are just pictures with me and elder brough and me and elder packard.
 Then I have included two random pictures. One is of Pres. Otin, our branch president, he is from Argentina and is a funny man.

 the second is of Aprieve holding clyde-li. Aprieve is just this big guy who is a lot of fun to talk to and clyde-li is our branch clerks new baby who came to volleyball. Aprieve hurt his foot and so he sat out and just watch the baby, it made for a good laugh.

Hmmm...What else happened this week. Still raining a ton. Everyone seems to expect at least one hurricane this year. They said 2 years ago it rained like this endlessly and they got 2 hurricanes. That would be cool to get a hurricane, won't ever see one in utah. 
This week should be good, not much is going on, we are working on building up our investigator pool once more so that is good. ugh...well I am short on time, I just realized that! never seem to have enough time, oh well.

Enjoy summer vacation, things are going well here. I am doing great! enjoy your new laptop laura! Keep reading your scriptures every morning! I love you all and look forward to next weeks emails!

Love
Elder B. Kent Talbert

No comments:

Post a Comment