Saturday, October 24, 2009

It Seems To Be An Unidentified Organism!

Family,
Well it has been good to hear from you all again. I didn't get the TT mom (at least not by email, if it was mailed I have seen it not) so you could send me one and that would be great! By mail would be preferred because it costs me money to print! I forgot to mention last week that I still am the piano player for sacrament meeting every week. I think I am getting better, I am at least getting used to the songs that seem to be repeated more frequently than others. I did get your joke about the ruler dad, to bad no one else caught on to it. I don't know how much it will cost, but I could use some more contact solution. I don't know how much it will cost in Jamaica but if it looks like it will be a pain to send in a package I can search it out here and get some.
This week has been good. President Graff has had zone conferences in Cayman, Bahamas, and Turks so he has been gone almost all week with the occasional stop in, as part of that he took one of his assistants with him (only one to save on the budget) so we had a third wheel with us all week. It was nice, on Monday and Tuesday we had Elder Darling and then Thursday, Friday, Saturday we had Elder Griffiths. We got a lot of office work done with 3 people instead of 2, we could send 2 people out to run errands and have 1 stay and work in the office.
We went to a Jamexican restaurant called El Chilitos. I got a burrito that was actually really good. I wasn't sure how much I was really going to like this strange Jamaican/Mexican mixture thingy. (That was Monday). On Tuesday we went to a place called Susan's Cafe for lunch. It was a Italian cafe place owned by a genuine Italian, the place was decent. I had a grilled chicken pesto sandwich, I enjoyed the it but I didn't really like how much I had to spend on it.
Funny experience from today (this is why we are emailing so late). Our Landlord, Bro. Miller, Is an old white guy who used to be a race car driver (that was his profession). He still has some very very very nice cars. Last night when we got home he called us over and asked if we could help him close up his garage, the door was giving him trouble. So we went over helped him out and then looked at all his cars. He told us that today we could return and get pictures in the day time. So we did. This morning we got up, cleaned the house, studied, cleaned some more and then went around to the garage. Bro. Miller was ready and so we got pictures and then he offered to give us a ride, so we took it. We had to squeeze really tight to fit into the car we took. A sports car is not made for 5 full grown adults. It was horribly uncomfortable but the ride was really nice, we drove up the mountain and once at the top took some pictures (they look fairly terrible, I think elder brown would only take pictures when I wasn't paying attention or when I was making dumb faces, I couldn't figure out what was taking him so long to take photos) that over looked all of Kingston. That took a long time but it was nice. Anyways, none of that was particularly funny and I mentioned that this was a funny story. So we are on top of the mountain and brother miller offers to take a picture of all 4 of us. So we hand him the camera. This camera has a screen that is the same size as the back side of the camera, doesn't have much in terms of buttons. Apparently brother miller had never seen such a device being very old. He would look at it, then put it up to his eye, about 1 inch from his eye like he was trying to look through a little view box on an old camera. So he is twisting and turning the camera trying to see something and we keep telling him to move the camera away from his eye and look at the screen and in the end we just had him push the take picture button while pointing the camera at us. I don't think he ever got the idea of the digital screen. That was a lot funnier actually being there then I think I made it sound, but oh well, maybe you can laugh at my spelling errors.
The office work has been good. I have been working on fine tuning many of my spreadsheets so that if and when I leave the office someone else can handle it without knowing how it all works. For the most part all of it works wonderfully. I have been working on trying to figure out how to make a button that will open a word document template (got that part down), but will then let me edit it, save it, but only save it for a specific cell so that if I open up the same template in another cell it will let me save it again but only to that cell so that each cell has its own, edit able version of the template, but I don't want to make 500 different templates, I want to just have one and let excel do the rest. (did that make any sense?)
We have been visiting a lot of less actives. One that we visited was one of the first members on the island long ago. He is very knowledgeable about the gospel and has had about every calling a branch has to offer. While we met with him we talked about just random things happening around the church, learned that he still continually reads from the bom and just went less active for a silly reason but that he plans to come back in a few weeks (he has only been less active for a month now) So we then got ready to go and while asking him where another less active member lives he decided it would be easier to just show us so he came with us for the rest of the night and helped us teach a handful of other less actives. That was the first time out of all the less actives I have visited, that we have got one to come out with us.
On Monday we had family home evening with the Sutherland family. The whole family is members but only Bro. Sutherland is active, he is the former branch pres. And now the elders quorum pres. He is an amazing man. Family home evening was very nice. Their 15 year old daughter did not want to be there at all and was very angry that she thought she was forced to endure it. But we got her to talk and in the end we had her laughing and enjoying the time she got to spend with her family. It was nice, I think if did well for the entire family, since then we have visited a few other times and everyone has been excited to see us and things appear a lot calmer around home. It is amazing how the simple things like FHE can work such wonders with families.
Oh yea, I just remembered. Last week on P-Day after emailing we drove out to Port Royal, the old british fort that sank in an earthquake. It was entertaining. We were the only people out there so we just wandered around the fort and took pictures. The place is fairly well kept, it has just been hit by a lot of earthquakes and hurricanes so a lot of it has just disappeared under the ocean. I attached a picture (lowered the quality so that it wouldn't take so much space) of me standing in a building that has half sunk so it is all tilted. I am standing straight up in the picture, it is the building that is sideways.
Wow, I got a lot written today. Other than what I mentioned not much has happened recently. Things go well, our house is clean and so that is nice. Our P-Day is mostly over thanks to our car ride this morning, but oh well, it was entertaining. This up coming week will be good, not much on the agenda so who knows what I will be doing. What is Shea's mission address? I don't have the slightest idea. I hope that you all have a great week, I am glad to hear that Jospeh's checkup went well and that all is good. It is weird to think that Laura is preparing to apply for college, it doesn't seem like that long ago that I was doing that (quick tip on that, it helps if you mention the word sponge somewhere in the application, don't ask me why, it just does). I have no clue how to pick up a message on an unmonitored frequency. I will think on that one. sorry if the subjects of my emails are getting lamer, my store of star trek quotes has been diminished so I just make something up something every week. Enjoy the week and I love you all!
Elder B. Kent Talbert

No comments:

Post a Comment