Sunday, November 15, 2009

You Bested My Giant

Family,
It is good to hear from you all yet again. This week has been good as usual. I must admit, It is quite weird to hear that the RG3 ward is gone! It was on its way out for a long time, but there was always a sliver of hope, but I guess not now haha. That is to bad. On a similar note mom or dad do you think that you could find me the address of Michael Phillips from the RG3 ward? That we would be splendid if you could. This last week has gone by very quickly. On Monday and Tuesday Pres. Graff was experiencing email problems. He had a Yahoo account and he wasn't receiving any mail from any missionaries or other church services. So he had me look into it and I messed around for a long time trying to figure out what was going on. I found that missionaries and other church services could email anyone except those with a yahoo account. Which was weird because it had worked the week before. I racked my brain for a long time and finally just gave up and went the slow way which was to email yahoo tech support and see what the problem was. I don't know if they ever replied, I never looked. We solved the problem a different way. Called the church computer people and talked to them about it. Learned that in the long run what had happened was yahoo and the church had had some sort of disagreement or something crazy and so yahoo had put a block on all mail from church services to their domain. Haha it was fairly ridiculous. I think since then it has been fixed and we can email yahoo, but I am not sure. Pres. Graff just switched to gmail instead.
Hmm- what else of note happened- oh yeah! The missionaries, from the church, all got these fancy water bottles that are made to filter the water from any source. Supposedly they are supposed to be like the best around and can work with any fresh water. They are made to filter out particles and kill bacteria. I got mine and at the office we all drank out of them for about 10 minutes. Then everyone went back to what they had been previously doing. I was curious as to how well the filters worked. I looked around and found different things to dump into my water bottle to see if it would filter it. Salt, sugar, Crushed pepper, etc. It worked fairly well, but I don't think it was designed for things that you wouldn't naturally find in fresh water sources (like kool aid). The water always came out clear and looking clean, but occasionally it had a weird taste to it. I don't know if that was some chemical released during the filter process or if it was the remains of salty peppery water. None the less it was entertaining and the water bottles are fairly nifty.
Yesterday night we had a lesson with a family of part members. About half are members the other half are not. It was a lot of fun. We got the whole family together, 10 people, and then had a lesson and played some weird card game I had never played but they enjoyed it, the game was 100% luck but it was entertaining. The best part about it all was that the whole family was together learning and playing a game. Family relations aren't the greatest in Jamaica and so it was really nice to see a family, that probably hasn't got all together In years, if ever, and see them just enjoy one another's company. I am attaching a picture, fairly generic, but it is a picture taken from our house which overlooks all of Kingston. It was taken at night during the sunset, in case you couldn't guess. Nice picture, to bad there are no people in it haha. The tallest buildings are only like 13 stories tall. Most of the things you see are the more developed parts of Jamaica. On the left side you will see a harbor that is a lot less developed, a lot more ghetto, that is where we spend a majority of our time teaching.
Umm-wow, it was a very generic week. Today we get to go to a CES fireside that is being broadcast from Utah, that will be nice. I hope that there are some good speakers (I doubt they would choose bad ones, but you never know haha). With it being such a dull week I have gotten a little bit of extra reading time in while I sit in the office. I am now in Alma 21. It has been nice to reread the book of mormon again. I have been going for a much more casual reading this time then I did the last. It is just amazing to me that if someone, who isn't even trying to hard, will just sit down and read the book will come to know it is true. You can't read it and say it is false without lying to yourself. Why would Joseph Smith, if he would have had the talent, have bothered to invent such a book, and claim it was of ancient origin, that would do nothing other than invite people to come to Christ.
Dad you potentially have a hard decision at hand. It would be weird if you made the change. I don't know how much you have talked about it to others so I will just leave it at that. I am starting to run out of time here so I will just finish up here and go on my merry little way.
Sorry if this email has been in the slightest way dull. I am doing well and I have enjoyed this last week, there just isn't much to say about it. Laura, at least you didn't do worse on your test! Haha are you going to take it again or just call it good? I am glad to that you are keeping your grades up Joseph. Keep trying and do as good as you possibly can, if you don't you will regret it someday haha. Well that is it for the week. I love you all and hope that this coming week is wonderful!
-Elder Kent Talbert

No comments:

Post a Comment