Saturday, November 21, 2009

You Fell Victim to One of the Classic Blunders

Family,
First off, sorry for this coming so late today, we have had a crazy morning (more on that later). Secondly, in answer to your questions mother. The CD's and Ensign can easily be an excellent Christmas gift, I am doing good on about everything and can't think of anything that I really need, So just what ever you think of will make me smile. Congrats on the Job father-that is crazy! I didn't think my dad would ever be anything other than the physics teacher at pghs! Wow. That must be hard to leave, for you and your fellow employees. Hopefully the next job goes as planned and is what you expect it to be. What exactly will you be doing now?
This week was good. I have had a fairly crazy morning, but aside from today almost nothing happened. So I guess I will start out with today. We got up this morning at 5 am, threw on some clothes and drove 30 minutes to Troy Williams house (an amazing member) who needed some help killing chickens. We spent 4 hours cutting off heads, plucking feathers, pulling out guts and other such chicken things. It smelled bad. The worst part was that to prevent the chickens from running out into the jungle when the heads were taken off we used a big container of water so that when the heads were taken off they would just flop around in the water. It got really gross after the water was filled with blood and the body would flail around splashing nasty water all over us. Anyways, enough with that. When it was all said and done everyone kept working on the chickens but E. Mcgrath and I were done with chickens. Bro. Williams has a Car that he is refurbishing and so we went and worked on that for an hour. It was a lot of fun (better than the chickens). We are thinking that next week we will go up there again and work on the car for a while longer. After we did that we showered, cleaned up and went over to the mission home to get hair cuts and eat ice cream. My hair looks nice. I have been experimenting with different hair styles, who knows how long it will look nice. Finally after all that was done I am here emailing at the office!
This week we got a third companion. Elder Lee, a Jamaican in my group from Ocho Rios. He is awesome! He has an ankle problem that needs to heal and so he gets to be in the office with us where he has to put little stress on his ankle.
Recently we moved out of a house in Maypen. The house has been in the mission for many years and it turns out that the house was fully furnished when we got it, including kitchen supplies and sheets and everything else. Well many years later and many missionaries later a lot of stuff is missing, I am sure that most of the missionaries didn't realize that the stuff belonged to the house and they just took it with them to the next house. We got a list of all the missing things and we have been making some odd purchases. It has been fun to go around to different stores and look for random things. Sort of like a scavenger hunt-only if we don't find it we get fined! We are down to a foyer table and 2 cake forks that will be found tomorrow-somewhere (I am not quite sure what a cake fork is, I always eat my cake with whatever fork or spoon is available).
One of the mission vehicles was having some electrical problems so Bro. Williams and I went to work. It was a lot of fun going through it all. We eventually got it all fixed, but I sort of wish that another car would have electrical problems that I could examine.
I have attached 2 pictures for you.
One is of brother Williams and behind him is the scenery in which he lives (out in the middle of no where jungle). Brother Williams is a long time member. He was baptized when he was 8 (now 26) he served a mission and loves mission work. He is currently unemployed and so he just comes and works with the missionaries (either the office elders or the assistants) all day long everyday. He knows a ridiculous amount about Jamaican roads (he is like a personal GPS) and has a lot of contacts and can help us get about anything done around the office. He is awesome! The second picture is everyone working on the chickens at Bro. Williams house. It was muddy as you can see.
Well time is beginning to run short. I sent in the mail birthday cards for siblings. And mom and dad I sent you 2 letters also, but they can be opened whenever. I had some extra free time last p-day and decided to write you. Nothing great, but none the less it is mail! Haha.
In answer to your question about the water bottle dad. It is nifty. It has a cartridge that can be replaced and is supposed to be replaced every 100 gallons of water or 5 years, which ever comes first. We all got 2 cartridges, they told us to just change it after a year. When you drink out of it it filters the water. As it goes through the filter it puts some different chemicals into the water so that if you are worried about certain bacteria you and just spray the water into a cup and let it sit for a 2 minutes and the chemical will kill all the bacteria but still be safe to drink. The only annoying part is that you have to suck on the straw thingy harder than normal because you have to force water through the filter. But I like mine. All the water at the office is filtered, so unless I add something to it for fun I just end up refiltering my filtered water.
Alright, I need to go now. But I hope this week is awesome. It sounds like life is going well. Laura you will love college, just work hard! Haha. Next week I will tell you more about some of the investigators that we have these days. Happy thanksgiving, enjoy the food, eat some for me for I will get none! Happy birthday Joseph and Heather!
Love
Elder Talbert

No comments:

Post a Comment