Thursday, April 29, 2010

There's Plenty for the Both of Us

Family,

Well another week gone by. It was a good week, excellent to hear from you all again. The Kitchen thingy looks really good, and so does the dog. I will be excited when I can finally see it all. This week we had another baptism, I will attach a picture here at the end. Today I had way to many emails and spent to much time reading, but I still have a good amount of time. 

Things go well here, transfers came...I think... We didn't hear anything out here so we have absolutely no idea what happened. But we can assume that Elder Brough and I will be serving together for at least one more transfer. 

Immigration has been out and about lots this week wrecking havoc. The Haitians are in a dismal situation. They pay tons of money to get here to illegal boat owners who lie to them and tell them that their are lots of jobs here and so they sell everything to get here. Then when they get here they have no job and nothing else. They are here illegally and have no way to go back to Haiti. Immigration likes to cause trouble by going out and picking up haitians and throwing them in Jail. The Government doesn't have enough money to send them back to Haiti so they are just left in Jail in the worst conditions possible, very inhumane. The Haitians live in tiny tiny houses, and have no water, no power, and no money. They just live in fear of immigration. They want to go back to Haiti but they have no way to go back to Haiti. They don't want to get picked up by immigration because the Jail is worse then just living in the bushes. Immigration is fairly corrupt and takes bribes or just takes things from the Haitians by force. Overall it is quite a terrible situation. President Graff and the Area Authorities have been trying to figure out if there is anything that can be done to help them. We have 2 members who currently live in the same house, about 30 square feet and a ceiling height of about 4 feet. not very comfortable.

Our Baptism this week was of a lady named Michal ang. She lives right behind the church and just showed up to church about 2 weeks ago. We have been teaching her ever since and all worked out nicely. We have about 4 more people who have good potential for baptism here in the coming weeks.
Our Jamaicans progress slowly, they are in good living conditions and most go to a church near the community, our church is pretty far away and so none of them came to church yesterday, but we will keep working, the Jamaicans are good to teach. 

On Friday we had activity night. We played various games but one of them was this game where we were in a circle and there was a piece of chalk that had to be passed around and a person in the middle had to guess where it was. Well it was an excellent game. The members thought it was great fun. Friday night Activity was a good success. this week they have planned a volleyball thingy on the beach so that should be interesting, I don't know if any of the Haitians have ever played volleyball.

I have been reading through the Old Testament this week. Read Kings-Esther. It reminds me a lot of the book of Helamen. Just wicked king followed by righteous king followed by wicked king, just an endless cycle until eventually they are just completely wiped out. A lot of those geneologies were pretty boring, I was determined to read every part so I had to read a lot of the geneologies out loud or else I would begin to just skim them. Not much to learn in those geneologies, other than diligence in record keeping. 

I figured you had skype dad, It seemed like something you would have. We will be able to skype on mothers day. I don't know the Herberts info yet but I will get that to you next week so you can test it all. I assume it will all work fine. I have no clue when mothers day is 2 weeks? well either way, next week I will email you everything and I will include the herbert's email just in case you can't get it to work for some strange reason.

Things are going well here. I don't really have much else to say. Today the Herberts are taking us to see some caves on the other side of the island, so that should be fun. I wish I had more to say. ugh....Well I can't really think of anything and time is running short. It is always amazing how fast email time can fly by. I hope this next week is great, enjoy the last few weeks of school. I love you all!

Elder Talbert

No comments:

Post a Comment